While you may not think about major injuries in your place of business, the fact is that hundreds of serious workplace injuries take place every year in businesses large and small, in office spaces and factories alike. We’ll review some of the major and minor injuries that can be treated with a basic first aid kit suggested by OSHA to be provided in every workplace.
Injuries happen every day in the work place, whether you work in an office setting or a construction site. No employer will ever be able to eliminate workplace injuries. For that reason a business first aid kit is important in any every workplace. Below are the most common workplace injuries.
- Strain from overexertion
- We can all relate to an instance where we or someone we know was hurt while lifting an object. Overexertion injuries in the workplace are among the most common injuries in the country.
- Slip, trip or fall
- Whether you slip on a slick surface or trip over something, a fall can cause serious injuries. While it’s easier to control instances of slick surfaces or obstructions you might trip over in an indoor setting, it’s much more difficult to accomplish that task for employees who work outside.
- Struck by objects
- This happens when a person collides with or is hit by another object. A falling item such as materials or equipment can cause serious injury. The risk of running into another person also exists in any office space around corners or behind solid doors.
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Motor vehicle accidents can occur for business travelers just like any regular traveler. The occurrence of a motor vehicle accident increases the probability of serious injury due to the higher rates of speed.
- Cuts, punctures, and scrapes
- From paper cuts to power saws, cuts, punctures and scrapes are a part of any work environment.
- Repetitive motion injuries
- Repetitive motion injuries are injuries that occur to repeated motion. They are among the most common in the workplace today for construction workers and coffee makers alike. Injuries such as tendinitis and bursitis are common repetitive motion injuries that impact knees, wrists, elbows
- Caught in or compressed by
- This type of injury is the highest risk in factories or around large machinery and equipment. These types of injuries are especially dangerous because they often occur with very little forewarning. For traveling employees exposure to extreme temperatures is another example of workplace injury.